Thursday 19 July 2012

Hungry Eyes

Since my first and failed attempt to take Ayahuasca, I've learnt a little more about the mysterious ceremony. The tea is made from a root. Some accounts I've read describe people seeing patterns behind their eyes, and one case of a tree trunk dis- and re-appearing. Most importantly, I gather you don't have to starve beforehand. It's only necessary to stick to a diet excluding meat, sugar, synthetic foods, alcohol, and sex - anything good is bad.

There's a jungle town, Tena, just five hours away from Quito, and I'm promised I'll be able to find a shaman there. My diet is back on. I've tried to find someone to join me on this adventure, but my description of vomiting and hallucinating in a dark jungle isn't selling.

My insatiable appetite has been back in force in this last week, but until now, with no money to satisfy it. This self-inflicted punishment has come at the worst possible time. Walking through Quito, I'm having a hard time passing the chicken restuarants, bakeries full of doughnuts, and worst of all, the street barbeques. Summoning immense mental strength, I'm able to pass on the street food. I want to take this relatively seriously, if only for the best experience.

During the five hour bus ride, the outside world gets increasingly rural. I'm waiting for the sudden change to real jungle, but it never comes. I was expecting wooden lodges and shacks, but Tena is busy and fair-sized town with a well-lit streets, shops, and small hotels. I find a hostel, where I'm assured that I am in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment