Thursday 7 June 2012

Rockin´ Around the Christmas Tree

My eyes and feet are following our guide´s size seven Saloman´s up the rocky beginnings of Huayna Potosi. Half an hour of walking and we´re at the foot of the mountains glacier section for some ice climbing practise. Our group is made of two girls, one American, one Spanish, then we three boys, from England, England, and Scotland, respectively, but unusually, all most recently having lived in Old Street, Shoreditch and Bethnal Green, respectively.

Ice climbing is cool and ice axes are really cool, so I go at the ice bullishly. I soon find there's more technique to it than I'd anticipated, or that relates to rock climbing. I manage not to embarrass myself entirely, and largely avoid slipping and sliding on my belly or arse down the thirty and forty degree sections. Though, in the more vertical sections, thankfully on a rope, I fall twice in an over-zealous haste.

Photo: Paul Bell
We´re only out for an hour or two, but I´d happily have been out for many more. Ice axes are just the sort of thing I could buy and never use when I get back home. I could put them next to my chessboard, and my Kung Fu outfit, and my flute, and my enormous amplifier. Really cool, though.

-----------------

Dear Santa,
 I´ve been mostly pretty good this year, and am I nice enough guy, once you get to know me. This christmas, would you kindly arrange the following:

a KFC Megabucket
a motorcycle helmet - a cool one, with flames on the side
a pair of ice axes
a selection of real ales

Cheers,

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment