Saturday 31 March 2012

Highway to the Danger Zone

Jamie and Steve have found sturdy sea legs, so we're enjoying some hearty and seaworthy meals.

Waking up for the 2000h shift, we find there's finally something on radar - which looks just as it does in the movies. We have a unidentified bogey on our Five O'clock. (We don't actually talk like that, but the passing thought amuses me, because I it would amuse JJ and Vidal.) There's no response on radio, but a we watch a distant red light in the darkness. We soon outpace them and the tenuous excitement is over.

As we're coming upto arrive Stanley, shortly before midnight, we're all on deck deconstructing our goose wing setup in a now unwelcome thirty knot wind. I hadn't put up the part I am taking down, and even given some instruction, I'm clueless and useless in equal measure.

The wind and cold is harsh and I'd greatly prefer to be ducked down in the wind sheltered doghouse, but everyone else is up here and Chris looks entirely unperturbed, so I've got to at least pretend to be hardened sailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment